moving piano away from wall

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 01 May 2000 16:06:51 -0700

Mark,

If someone is going to put an upright on a hardwood floor, especially a
new or newly refinished one, or if one is already in place, even if I'm
not going to move the piano away from the wall, I will likely speak to
them about caster cups. Then if the owner or the tech needs to move the
piano away from the wall, it can be moved easily. Schaff has some nice
looking wooden ones with felt bottoms and I keep a few sets in the car.
The casters don't jump out and the felt allows the whole business to slide
without too much effort.

This is easier and much less expensive than installing rubber casters.
Further, I've put school casters on heavy old uprights where the rubber
wheels still left tracks in the floor (some hardwoods are not all that
hard.). So I think it's a better all around solution.

Tom