"New" old uprights

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 3 May 2000 01:03:34 EDT

In a message dated 5/02/2000 9:28:07 PM, Joseph wrote:

<<Jim,
Rebuilt to me means that, among a host of other things, you replaced the
soundboard. Is that true? (Bravo, and a tip of the hat if you did!)
Anything less is not a rebuild, IMHO>>

Joseph;
 Flame suit not needful, from my viewpoint anyway. :-)
 Let's look at these items one by one.
First the soundboard question.
None of the rebuilds (upright) I have done involved replacing the
soundboard...primarily because I don't think I would 'yet' suggest this on an
older upright... but also because  the ones I did/have done/am doing/will do.
 With a good clear tone throughout the scale and a sustain time in the mid to
high twenties in the tenor and correspondingly high sustains in bass and
treble I did/have not feel/felt that a new board and attendant expense
thereof was warranted.

<<"For a customer to drop a huge chunk of change into a cosmetically
improved, tonally challenged, mechanically inferior, deteriorating oldie
seems a bit pretentious and misleading by the "rebuilder in charge".">>

 Well I agree, 'except' for "cosmetically improved"; this is the purpose of
case repair and refinishing isn't it?  And maybe for "mechanically inferior";
cause this is the purpose of complete refurbishing and or replacement of the
action parts isn't it?  And for the "deteriorating oldie"; cause all pianos
are by definition "deteriorating" aren't they?  other than this I agree with
you :-) ........... I don't see anything "pretentious" about this or
"misleading".  As to the "rebuilder in charge"
there are plenty of "rebuilders" out there and there are plenty of
'techinicians' who 'rebuild'........ the two are not needfully one and the
same........quite often there is a large disparity between them.  Now if you
want to talk about .......""For a customer to drop a huge chunk of change
into a cosmetically improved, tonally challenged, mechanically inferior,
deteriorating"".... new piano that is a different kettle of fish.

   There can be a vast difference between a piano that 'can' be rebuilt and
one that 'should' be rebuilt.  As for whether a "rebuild" can be a "rebuild"
without a sounding board replacement??...we'll have to disagree on this one
methinks.
Just think about it for a moment...if a piano has had all action parts
replaced with suitable parts, keys rebushed, new buttons installed, new ivory
keytops applied, bridges replaced, new pinblock installed, all new felts
throughout, case repaired and refinished......isn't this enough to classify
as "rebuilt"?  Conversely if all that is done is a new soundboard w/bridges
and restringing...... is this is enough to classify as rebuilt? What
constitutes a "host" of other things? ...well perhaps all the 'normal' things
for a rebuild but if something, other than the board, is left out of the
'normal' list does this still count as a "rebuild"?

  The PTG tech sheet that covers "rebuilding" defines two levels of
"rebuilding" complete and partial....personally I think that a piano which
recieves a new soundboard and attendant action work/case work should be
classified as 'remanufactured' and not "rebuilt".  This is just semantics
anyway, isn't it?

  This is an area, i.e. terminology, where we all could do a much better job
methinks if we could agree on a 'standard' but I won't be  aholding my
breath...i'fn y'all don mind. :-)
No flames, just my view.
Jim Bryant (FL)