muting the sound of a grand

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 03 May 2000 18:36:11 -0700

Last week, I tuned a Y.C 213 grand that the pianist had cut some felt to
lay directly on the speaking lengths of all the strings.  I was
surprised to find the sound very natural, not at all tubby.  The felt
didn't go past the dampers or over the bridge, just on the speaking
part.  We install a lot of players (QRS), and one common complaint is
the volume.  We've been installing the foam from Edwards, which works
well, but cost about $150. or more.  For just a few bucks, try this
trick with the felt.  I would think about using real wool felt, since
moisture might be trapped against the strings.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego