Mignon Piano Information

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 May 2000 07:50:39 EDT

I used to tune a gutted player grand with the name "Welte-Mignon" for a
customer who fortunately no longer has it.  It was in rough shape.  This
particular piano was obviously of American manufacture and had an unusual
Wessell, Nickel & Gross action with the backchecks mounted on auxiliary
wippens.  The body of the piano was unusually thick (top to bottom)
apparently to allow the pneumatic stack to be mounted inside the action
cavity.  I think it had dowel capstans.  Welte-Mignon was the name of the
third major style of reproducing mechanism (after Duo-Art and Ampico).

Bill Maxim