Steinway damper

Tue, 9 May 2000 10:05:44 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: David Ilvedson <ilvey@jps.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 09, 2000 8:30 AM
Subject: RE: Steinway damper

> Phil,
>
> I am amazed at all the answers you have received so far...where is the
> typical Pianotech insight into problems like this.  Ron N. where are you?
> was going to mention this is why you should never go trolling in a piano,
> but I think we need the expert to handle this...
>
> David I.

Actually several of the suggestions I've read have, indeed, offered good
advice and appropriate solutions.  Although not in great depth.  I suspect
that this is at least in part because the subject has been covered fairly
often and in some depth in the not-so-distant past

These problems are generally solved by paying close and careful attention to
the details.  It is true that some damper systems sometimes need a dose of
redesign, but this should not be one of them.  Steinway D damper mechanisms
work well if they are installed and regulated per their design, eclectic as
it may be.  If the old damper tray is beyond feasible repair then a new tray
should be installed as part of the overall fix.  If the damper heads and
wires have been bent and mangled beyond recognition -- which in this case
may well be the case -- then they also should be replaced.  This is all
basic piano technology.

If some redesign of an odd set is required then a thorough understanding of
how piano dampers work will be required before even attempting to improve on
the factory original.  This understanding will need to include both the
mechanical system and the basic theory of damping piano strings.  For the
first, much has already been printed in the Journal and on this list. For
the latter, most of what I have to say on the subject has already been
printed in the Journal and/or on this list.  Check the Journal and the list
archives.

Regards, and good hunting ...

Del