Steinway decorative cloth

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 11 May 2000 07:11:13 -0400

Bill,

Four years ago I did this job on an 1889 Lester upright.  That material was tan,
I think, although being somewhat colorblind I'm not quite sure.  In any case, I
took a sample from behind where it wasn't faded and asked the client to get
whatever material at a drygoods store she thought was closest to the original.
If you can't get the original from Steinway I would encourage you to let the
client get the stuff; then there's no likelihood that they won't like what you
chose.

I took the front home and put the new cloth on, one side at a time, using spray
adhesive on the edges only.  Mask everything well where you don't want the spray
to go.  Using this method I was able to get the new cloth tight and wrinkle-free,
and it really did look very good when I was finished.  However, it took longer
than I anticipated, so I really didn't make a very good wage on it, since I made
my estimate too low.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT