Sales Tax

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 11 May 2000 07:25:30 -0400

I sent a piano A out to Ralf for refinishing - he wants to charge me sales
tax. I sent piano B out for refinishing to Bob and he charges no sales tax.
I suppose this is a state-specific thing, but can anyone tell me if one
should pay sales tax for subcontracted services in Florida? What do other
states require? Who in state government should I ask (that knows)? I always
thought that you charge tax for a THING and do not charge tax for a SERVICE.
Ralf says that if I give him my somethingorothercompanyrelated number, he
will not charge me tax, but that I need to charge my client the tax. What's
the deal? I hate the business end of any business! Thanks for any input.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com