Wurlitzer Broken Damper Springs

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 11 May 2000 19:56:25 -0400

Tom Robinson wrote:

> The subject:  A 1960 Wurly Spinet (692993) understood by the new owner
> to be "seven" years old.  As found conditions:  80 cents low, evidence

SNIP

>  damper rod lift just enough to clear strings
> with pedal bottomed (of course....damper motion reminds me of my Navy
> days)..  Curiosity.....No fewer than 5 broken damper springs in
> scattered notes.  That seems to be a little odd as in the last 3 years
> I've only replace one damper spring in 3 other Wurly's.   Haven't pulled

Probably rodent urine on the damper springs is the cause. Replace as
necessary, bend damper rod into proper position, take up lost motion & shim
balance rail for acceptable keydip. Pitchraise. Don't drive the pins
deeper, Wurly coils should be relatively high. CA if torque is low.
Charge accordingly.

Patrick