annoying posts - new solutions

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 13 May 2000 09:51:57 -0700

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

>  Please no more "PSO" responses to
> someone's question about what to do.  They are *all* "PSO"s, we already know
> that.  I'd rather read one "how to..." post than ten "forget it, it's a PSO
> post".  Please don't ask what to do about a "PSO" because it shows that you
> don't want to do it anyway.  It gets really annoying to see "PSO" so many
> times doessn't it?  Please no long detailed accounts of "how bad it was", a
> general description would suffice.  Let's talk about how to do good work, not
> how bad someone else's is.

I must disagree.  The individuals on this list are continuously changing.  People
leave, new people join.  In the better part of three years that I have been on
this list I have seen numerous names come and go.  I cannot think of even one
subject that has not come up at least a dozen times or more.  How many times have
we discussed the "who cares about equal temperament" thing?  As long as there are
pianos techs and new people on the list there will always be rehashing of the
same subjects.  In spite of this there is still something interesting and amusing
each time they come around.

> Let's discuss the pianos we service and how to tune and service them.  To me,
> that's what "Pianotech" implies.

In general yes but not necessarily always.  To me "pianotech" implies a gathering
place of "piano technicians" who share and discuss common interests.  It is a
place to boast, ask questions, find information, share stories, and make
friends.  It does not necessarily require the subject to be directly associated
with pianos at every minute of every day.

> Frankly, I haven't responded too much lately, not
> so much that I have been too busy but because even though
> there have been dozens of daily posts there has been very little of
> interest.

That's okay.  I often find things of little interest to me.  I don't expect
everything on this list to keep me riveted to my chair.  I delete, I turn the
computer off, and I go on to something else.

> Most days I just go to the top of the list, scroll down to the
> bottom, press Shift & Delete and flush the whole thing.

Sometimes I do too.  I have a life and rarely can afford to spend all of my time
reading fifty messages every day.  I pick out what interests me and move on.

Don't get too serious on us here, it's just pianotech chat.  Get yourself a tall
cold one, rest your feet up on the desk, and grab your mouse.  There are no brain
surgeons on this list.  Well... maybe with the possible exception of Newton...
<;~)

Robert R. Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV