appraise antiques

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Mon, 15 May 2000 22:42:19 -0500

Farrell wrote

> My next rebuild is a square. The lady will spend about $7K. She knows that
> it will be worth next to zero when it is done, and she knows that it will play better than a good spinet,
	Terry,
	I have to jump in here.......I'd like to see any old square piano that
plays better than a good spinet (isn't that an oxymoron?)
I've got one in the shop now that is similar to what Terry is
describing. It will go back to "the old home place in Tennessee" and be
a time machine for the memories of those who are in the family.
> 									Dan j
> Terry Farrell
> Piano Tuning & Service
> Tampa, Florida

  My customers with square grands often ask me to estimate the value of
their antique instruments.  I tell them I can estimate the piano's value
as a musical instrument but not its value as an antique.

  Anyone with any ideas?

> > Carman Gentile RPT
> > Eureka,
> > Humboldt County, CA

You can suggest that today's junk might be tomorrow's treasure. You've
got the right idea.
											Dan j