45 min tunings

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 May 2000 00:53:08 EDT

John;
While "all" my tunings don't meet your 45 minute criteria I will attempt to
answer. :-)

In a message dated 5/17/2000 12:22:10 AM, John F. wrote:

<<"Would all your tunings pass the tuning exam for the RPT test,">>
Of course not...but then some of those..possibly 'most' of those pianos would
not be suitable for testing purposes.

 <<"or are some below par?">>
 Valuation judgement here John :-) can you do an 'on par' tuning on a Grand
spinet?

<<"If no, how do you justify leaving a piano below "minimal" standards?"..
see above.

<<"Do you tune that fast for concerts,">>
Depending(s) on time, needs of the piano, etc.

<<" or just for "lower-end" tunings?">>
Define "lower end tunings" Some pianos don't deserve much...........but even
when I do a quick tuning I will go over each piano two times once to get it
in 'tune' and once to "tune it".

<<"How long do you spend on temperament, octaves, unisons?">>
How long is a piece of string? Each challenge is different...isn't it?
But.... generally I believe I try to get as good a temperament as reasonably
possible and probably spend more time there than anywhere.

<<"How even is the piano? I.e., are all the intervals ascending/descending

evenly?">>

 As even as reasonably possible given instrument, condition etc. as to the
latter part of the question..No. But they are as close as circumstance allows.

<<"What kind of stability is achieved?">>
I don't have very many complaints about stability
so I suppose it is fairly decent. :-)

<<"How are your unisons? Three strings perfectly tuned, really close, or
what?">>
Well this ain't no simple answer and anyone who said their 45 minute tuning
of a thingee like the 1098 was "perfect" or in some instances even "really
close" I would be dubious of...course I would never expect to do a good
tuning on a 1098 in 45 minutes..........

<<"Do you concentrate mostly on good unisons and octaves?">>
Good solid unisions....as for "good octaves" we'd have to discuss what makes
a"good octave".

<<"Any other thing I have left out?">>

Probably :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)