45 min tunings

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 17 May 2000 23:14:55 -0500

Jim,

Thanks for the response.

<<Valuation judgement here John :-) can you do an 'on par' tuning on a Grand
spinet?

snip...

<<Define "lower end tunings" Some pianos don't deserve much...........but
even
when I do a quick tuning I will go over each piano two times once to get it
in 'tune' and once to "tune it".>>

These are good points that, frankly, I fail to remind myself of sometimes. I
know what you have said, but, still being relatively new, I suppose that
experience must erode my lofty ideals for EVERY piano to sound like a
concert piano--it ain't gonna happen most of the time. I am a perfectionist
by nature, and I guess that I allow myself to get bogged down on a lousy
spinet that won't sound very good no matter what.

<<"How even is the piano? I.e., are all the intervals ascending/descending
evenly?" [John F]>>

<<As even as reasonably possible given instrument, condition etc. as to the
latter part of the question..No. But they are as close as circumstance
allows.>>

Another something for me to do better: don't try to make the substandard
piano sound like a [insert fave brand] when it will NEVER sound like a [fave
brand]. I'm beginning to get this into my thick skull. :-))

Thanks for the good advice, Jim.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS