45 min tunings

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 17 May 2000 23:35:05 -0500

Bill,

<<Remember that the RPT Tuning Exam is a very specific, controlled
situation.
However, the tolerances that are used can be thought of as minimum
professional standards.  Long ago, I made those my standards and would not
charge for a tuning that didn't at least meet minimum professional
standards.
 In most cases, I want my work to be well above the minimum.  Only in the
case of a piano which cannot be tuned because of structural weakness or
deterioration might I charge for the tuning but inform the customer of the
circumstances.>>

OK, this is good to hear. Last time when this was discussed on the list, I
was a little unsure about how the quick tunings would sound. If one never
asks, one never knows. I agree with you--that minimum standards ought to be
met whenever possible.

 <<You really can tune the piano much faster twice than you can fight with
it once.>>

How long does it take to "build up" to this kind of proficiency? I suppose
there comes a time when you just go on "automatic pilot." I have not reached
that stage yet.

 <<How are your unisons? Three strings perfectly tuned, really close, or
what? [John F]>>

<<Maybe not as perfect as the most rigorous concert tuning but certainly
well
within minimum professional standards.>>

So, the thing to keep in mind seems to be that, with a "lesser" piano, there
can be a loosening of rigid standards, whether set by PTG or oneself. That
means that we don't have to fight with the pianos that refuse to be tamed.
We can do our best, but that's all.

<<The purpose for talking about minimum times that it takes for tuning is to
show what *can* be done, not what must or should be done.>>

OK. I was getting the impression that a 45 minute tuning was almost the
"standard" that  just about everyone (except me <g>) was doing. Maybe one
day I'll get to that standard too.

Thanks for the response--it was helpful.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS