45 min tunings

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 17 May 2000 23:44:12 -0500

Barrie,

<<You must take into account where the piano is and how often it has been
tuned over the years.  A lot of the pianos in my area tend not to move
in pitch for years  so they are just touch ups and the one that do are
small seasonal pitches, so when you pull up or down the middle,  the
bass and top treble fall into place.  Thus speeding up the job in hand.>>

Good point! Many of my pianos have not been tuned in over a year (I'm trying
to convince folks to tune twice a year). Some of my pianos are done several
times a year, but are in buildings that have big humidity swings. I could
pitch float, but not on those pianos that are played in church together with
the organ.

<<Why only aurally?>>

Aural tuning is more challenging than watching lights or computer screens.
More variables. If I used a ETD, I could do a 45 minute tuning. However, I
am trying to get proficient enough to pass the RPT tuning exam, so I have
put the SAT away except for when I am short on time, or have "furniture" to
work with.

Thanks for the response.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS