Psychology

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 18 May 2000 15:27:19 -0700

Now I have a different spin on that...I would have got some input on the
phone about the "never been tuned".  This may have alerted me to extra work
and so I would have booked the time in advance.  My customers don't like me
to keep them waiting because a customer hasn't maintained his piano.  I
don't push appointments! A 200 cent pitch raise, 3 times through or not,
will need tuning very soon after you have left.  I would assess the needs,
do what I can to begin the process and schedule for the fine tuning and
regulation/repairs and I wouldn't consider it
"stretching this out".  One more appointment should do the trick.  IMHO...

David I.

Kristinn,
Are you thrilled if your auto mechanic gives you your car back, running
rather
roughly, with smoke pouring out of the tail pipe, with a bill and the
admonishment that you'd better come back tomorrow if you want the engine
tuned,
in addition to the new spark plugs and oil filter that they *did* install
that
morning at 10 AM. Why didn't they do the rest of the work? Umm, they had
other
cars waiting for them to "start" working on.
My Monday morning customer with a 20 year old Baldwin spinet that had
*never*
been tuned got a 200 cent pitch raise (went over it 3 times), hammer flanges
tightened, lost motion adjusted & keys eased in less than 3 hours of my
time.
Some folks would have stretched this out over several visits, at
considerably
greater expense and inconvenience to the customer to achieve the same
effect. I
rescheduled (called on my cell phone) the noon appointment to 1 PM. I'm
happy, my
customers are happy.

Patrick