45 min tunings

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 18 May 2000 15:12:59 -0700

I rarely pound anymore and certainly not on a pitch raise.  It is going to
change so why bust your fingers?  This brings up a point about hammer
technique.  When the string is close, I move the pin as little as possible,
often it just needs a firm test blow (not pounding) with some hammer
pressure in the correct direction and voila...

IMHO...;-]

David I.

Has anyone seen a BB message which included IMHO?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Larry J. Messerly
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2000 6:56 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: 45 min tunings

Three comments on this thread,

I had two tunings yesterday that were basically done in 35 minutes, these
were yearly clients who had scheduled one on the same day of the year and
one 2 days later than the anniversary date!

Humidity and temperature were almost exactly what they were last year,
pianos were off by one or two cents throughout.  Tuning was a breeze.
Spent an extra 5 minutes nit picking.

Second comment.  I allow 2 hours between tunings, time for travel, break,
sit in the park or whatever.  Usually spend 75 to 90 minutes in the home.
 Rest of the time in this case was spent in cleaning, and regulation
touch-up, playing and talking with the client.

Third comment,  I find to be true that in most cased going over the
tuning twice is quicker than trying to do even a minor pitch raise once.
I am a pounder, especially on the first pass, I think that this aids in
stability for the final pass.

Larry Messerly, RPT
Prescott/Phonix