pianotech-digest V2000 #465

CCLPianos@AOL.COM CCLPianos@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 May 2000 08:54:17 EDT

In a message dated 5/19/00 5:09:32 PM, owner-pianotech-digest@ptg.org writes:

<<
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 08:58:35 -0700
From: Robert Goodale <rrg@nevada.edu>
Subject: Re: Squeaky Knuckles '80s Baldwin

Might I suggest just replacing the knuckles?  The job isn't that difficult, I
did it recently on a Baldwin M with similar problems.  It will take about a
half day if you apply yourself to the task.  Knuckels arn't that expensive.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

Richard Wagner wrote:

> Anybody on the list with advice, I'd sure appreciate help.
>
> Have a 1980's era Baldwin grand with re-occuring squeaky knuckles.  Have
> tried brushing, and lubricating with Spurlock's teflon, but the problem
> returns after just a few weeks.
>
> Is this another example of problematic leather/buckskin in Baldwins and do
> the knuckles perhaps need to be replaced?
>
> Thanks.
>
>         Richard Wagner RPT >>

I have had that problem. It's real easy to solve using a spray can of
"Permalube". Sold in most supply houses. Apply it directly to the whippen
surface (the area that is usually coated with graphite). Prep it before spray
using a "scotch brite" pad. Mask off the areas that shouldn't get covered.
Spray carefully, two coats. No mess. Let it dry for at least two hours before
touching and at least 24 hours before use. Much faster than four hours of
knuckle replacement. (no smiley included)
Pat W