maximum string tension

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Sun, 21 May 2000 16:56:31 -0400

I once asked that question at a manufacturer's seminar.  They were
advocating raising the new strings and letting them fall back to pitch.

The math is that there is a T value, or Tmax, the maximum tension of a
string.  The pitch of that string is usually about 60% of this T value.  The
calculations and formulas for this can be found in a PTG publication "The
Calculating Technician" on page 11.  The forumula is:
                            1.6667
    Tmax = 0.557d

Since this too hard to do on email, the books says "In this Formula, T max
represents the maximum safe tension in pounds and d represents the (steel)
wire diameter in mils raised to the power 1.667."

In other words, I wouldn't raise a string more than 30% overpull of its
intended pitch.  However, there is still a problem with this.  Even if a
string is stretched to or beyond its T value, it does not always break
immediately.  It is a dead string, does not sound right, and is just waiting
to snap when you want to make a quick exit!  They can last up to 10 years or
so before they snap at pitch.

Carol Beigel
spending too much time at the computer on a cold, rainy Sunday afternoon!