pin driving fluid

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 21 May 2000 15:46:10 -0500

>Just curious......if "rosin" or "resin" doesn't have any quality
>relevant to stringing other than absorbing moisture......why do
>fiddlers/violinists use it on their bows?
>
>Tom Robinson

Just because the tackiness of rosin is sufficient to move a violin string
under light pressure, why would you think that difference in tackiness
would be noticeable at 100 inch pounds of tuning pin torque. Actually, I
said that it did make a difference in stringing. I already posted that it
seems to lessen static friction between the pin and block, which makes the
static friction closer to the sliding friction, which has the effect of
lessening the tendency toward jumpy or snappy pins. It doesn't have a
noticeable effect on sliding friction in a pinblock, which is what you seem
to be getting at.

Ron N