Going over it twice

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 21 May 2000 19:03:09 -0700

> Kevin E. Ramsey RPT wrote:
>
>     Maybe the best and easiest approach is to go over EVERY tuning twice.
> Just my two cents worth.

My approach involves going over at least part of the piano a second
time, for reasons I don't think have been mentioned.

The fact is that I'm not doing my best tuning right out of the gate. To
some extent, there is some vestige of the previous while's activities
occupying my consciousness and my full focus doesn't kick in for an
octave or so. If the whole piano is more than a few cents flat or sharp,
I might warm up with a pitch adjustment (full or partial). By the second
pass, my ear and tuning arm are functioning with a greater degree of
subtlety and better results can be obtained.

With a close-to-in-tune instrument (no pitch raise needed), I'll
typically start with the bottom of the tenor and work upwards, unisons
as I go (using RCT), and making occasional aural checks. After C8, I'll
come back down the scale, checking intervals, touching up unisons, etc.,
until I reach the mid-tenor area.

This is the part of a tuning where I may deviate slightly from the
calculated tuning (mostly on smaller pianos) and will take it over the
break aurally. This is also where I can retune that first octave or two
that may not have been my best effort.

Tom

Thomas A Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA