Maximum tension

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Mon, 22 May 2000 00:44:27 -0500

Kristinn Leifsson wrote:

> List,
>
> can anyone tell me how much one can pull up a top C string in a new piano
> until it breaks?

I can respond with alacrity and confidence that yes you can in fact pull
it up until it breaks and no further.........sorry. Why is it so
important to find this out.?.just curious.

Kristinn, you asked about my "first mentor". I use that "term" very
loosely. He was the first tuner to encourage me and taught me some
valuable tech lessons and remains available for consults. His name is
Lee Flory and he lives in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

Responding to your post about uneven pitch across bridges....My
experience is with Kawai Grands going out unevenly. After the summer
months it seems the bass bridge is always different than the treble.
Just this week I tuned a Yamaha G-3 that I have known since it was
new...about 12 years now. I had last tuned it in Jan 2000 and was
horrified to find that from about Mid c down it was sharp and the rest
was flat...some strings were right, but few. Upon questioning, the PIC
(person in charge) finally told me that the air conditioning system had
a leak in it a couple of weeks ago (in that room) and that pretty much
explained it. Also the RH was up about 25% (from 28% in Jan to 53% now).
I figured that the RH had probably reached as high as the 70s before
things were put right.
	S&S and Baldwin seem to move about fairly evenly. It's got to be in the
design. I can't wait to see what the engineers have to say.