Elton John

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Mon, 22 May 2000 01:07:13 -0500

Phil Bondi wrote:

> ..not Bruce Hornsby

> If you get a call to tune his piano while he's on the road, his 'tech
> director/tour manager' has a RCT with him - real nice guy.

	He is Wayne Pooley and is a sound/recording engineer.

> He was asking about Stretch numbers and preferences of technicians in general of
> 'how far' they like to stretch.

One reason for this is that when these guys record, they have a
particular "sound" they are looking for. To achieve this they need
consistancy. Wayne says that with the same piano in the same room that
the piano will sound "bigger" some days than others. I'm not really sure
what he means by that but there it is. I have heard that for miking up
close to the piano that you don't want to stretch the octaves as much as
for a big concert hall acoustic situation.
	By the way, Bruce has excellent ears.
		good night.....Dan J (not a PTG member but not totally unknown)