Action noise/piano teacher on the edge of lunacy

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sun, 21 May 2000 22:07:49 -0700

I had a Feurich grand with a very noisy action. I found that the jack was
low in the window and after some standard regulation the noise was reduced
considerably.  I also found that the hammer flange center pins were loose in
the birdseye.  I also repinned the entire set which also helped the
regulation gave me the most bang for the buck.  Repinning did need to be
done though...

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of GLATTLYgpf@AOL.COM
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2000 7:26 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Action noise/piano teacher on the edge of lunacy

I have a customer with a 2 year old Seiler grand (6') that has an audible
sound (pa-dunk or pa-da-dunk) as the hammer returns and the knuckle lands on
the repetition lever.  This is obvious when playing mf staccato and it may
be
out of the ordinary for the age of the piano.  Everything else about the
piano is in first class shape, regulation and otherwise.  I'm a concert tech
and rebuilder and I've seen pianos as noisey as this though perhaps older.
I've found that by scuffing the knuckles a bit that key is quieter for a
while.  I think the rails transmit a lot of sound but before I call the
factory I thought I'd throw this out there.
Chris Glattly/Rochester NY