Lunchtime Puzzler

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 12:55:12 -0500

I thought Jim's "Midnight Puzzler" was very good!  Here is another piano
puzzler to ponder.

Piano - 1 year old Chickering grand, last tuned several months ago,
recently moved to new home with high humidity

Problem - loud buzz on only one bass string.  The note is in the low tenor,
2 or 3 notes above the Bass/Tenor break.  The right string of the pair had
a loud buzzing sound.

It took about 20 minutes to find the cause of the buzz, and less than 5
minutes to correct the problem.

You get a Virtual Star if you correctly identify the problem and solution.

You get another Virtual Star if you identify which 3 tools I used for the
repair.

Have fun!

David Vanderhoofven
Registered Piano Technician