what is this corrosion?

Fri, 26 May 2000 07:58:13 -0400

I have done 4 "fire" jobs, each time waiting 6 months before making a
final estimate/appraisal.  Each time a complete restring job was done, as
corrosion continued to show progress over the waiting period.  All of
those jobs have turned out well, even 10 years later.

Interestingly, one set of bass strings was COMPLETELY dead on a Kawai
grand on initial inspection, and 6 months later sounded just as good as
new.  I replaced them anyway, but found that to be rather intriguing....

AS far as spraying lacquer on pins and coils, that doesn't sound like a
very good idea to me, although it may be OK.  I would think applying some
bluing fluid after cleaning off the rust would be preferable, and more
effective.  At this point, only band-aid approaches or a restringing
would seem to be the choices.  Tech #2 did this customer a great
disservice.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com