humidity problem - will this fix it?

Robert A. Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 04:56:58 -0700

Clyde H. wrote:

"My question is this:  Can I expect a heat bar under the keybed to
alleviate the tightness from humidity?  Should it go inside the action
cavity?  Or is there no way to know until I know if the sluggishness is
from key bushings or action centers?  And what wattage should I use?
Or, do you think I should forget about humidity control and just get in
there and fix the problem?"

No, a heat bar under the keybed won't alleviate the tightness from
humidity. It is possible to install a heat bar on the action. However it
will heat the pinblock as well as the action. Do you want that? The
tuning pins probably aren't too tight. The term "1938 Steinway" suggests
the problem: verdigris in action centers. It will be worse in high
humidity situations, just as for any tight action center problem. Yes,
you have to do something about the centers if you want to solve the
problem. The problem will get worse with time, and even if a heater bar
on the action is effective now, it will become less so as the verdigris
problem worsens. If there is a question whether the problem is key
bushings or action centers, key bushings can usually be checked without
withdrawing the action.

It's not too time consuming to remove a S&S action. There are only two
screws to remove. As long as you have invested the time to make a trip
to the customer's home, the time to pull the action is insignificant.
And for that small time investment, you may sell a job that would more
than pay you back for the time you already invested.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ