Aftertouch Question

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 26 May 2000 10:32:25 -0600

Hi Terry,
             For a performance regulation,  Top key quality key bedding is a
given not a  choice.
Japanese and Korean action rails will not stay stable at the 1/32"(let off)
tolerance and handle the humidity swings, you can get it up this tight for a
performance but don't expect it to last.
Remember that Fir or Spruce expands and contracts quite a bit tangentially, so
the rails will move quite a bit more than their maple counter parts.

Now I become bilingual, dip on most Asian pianos should be in the 10mm ball
park. Shot for about .020" after touch.

To attain 1/32" let off and minimal drop, with 1/4" ppp checking in the lower
registers the tail geometry has to be very good, and back check faces,
parallel
with the hammer rail.

1. Tail should be at 90 degrees to the hammer shank, if not, and is angled,
the
check has the tendency to push the hammer tail out of check.  If check and
tail
is at 90 degrees to the hammer rail,  the check is evenly trapping the hammer
and shank against the centre pin.

2.  Tail radius needs to be half the distance of the centre to tail radius, (
about 5")
So arc the tails at 2 1/2". Bill Spurlock's jig will do a good job. Use new a
80 grit belt.
Checkering should not be needed, nor is it desirable.  Gina and I differ on
this a little, If you have a heavy set of hammers, I will 45 degree lightly
checker the bass only with a coarse file, NOT a checkering file. But we both
agree that for a normal regulation checkering is not needed.

Terry, if bedding, tailing geometry, back check height, and rake are not in
order, you are not going to achieve the tight specs that you are after.

Hammer flange centre pinning starts to become critical at these tolerences, so
be on your guard in this area.

PS. Gina and I have just finished writing, about a 5 page side bar to our
interactive reg articals just on checking and spring tension pitfalls. I think
it's chapter 7?

Well I guess we are both long winded.  <g>

Hope this helps

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213