Lunchtime Puzzler

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 11:33:58 -0500

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

>David;
>Damper wire being hit by string. Probably on the next note down but possibly
>on the same note as the "Buzz"

Good guess, but no VIrtual Stars for you, my friend!

------------------------------
Christopher D. Purdy wrote:

>The most obvious would be the damper wire too close to the string.

Sorry. Incorrect.  You have two more guesses before being disqualified!

>If it was just moved, maybe something is on the bridge at the termination
>point.

Sorry, Incorrect Again.  One more guess.

>High hudidity may have caused the bass bridge to come into contact with the
>string at the notch if it was not notched correctly?
>
>chris

Bingo!  You get one Virtual Star, for correctly identifying the problem.

The bridge was incorrectly notched and the top of the bridge was touching
the bass string, causing the buzz.  I would guess that the high humidity
made the soundboard and bridge swell up so that this problem was noticeable
now when it wasn't noticeable before.

Since no one else has guessed, here are the tools I used.  Tuning lever, to
drop tension on the wire, a sharp knife to gently shave the edge of the
bridge notch, and a string lifter to make a nice neat coil on the tuning pin.

------------------------------

Kristinn Leifsson wrote:

>loose bridge pin?
>
>tuning hammer to take the string off if you preferred to do so,
>regular sledge hammer for the big thing you put on the bridge pin so you
>wouldn´t destroy it.

Kristinn, I have seen loose bridge pins before, but this was not the cause
of the buzz in this piano.

>loose wrapping at the end, jumping up and down the string and buzzing,
>spinning like crazy?
>
>said tuning hammer
>something to cut the loose piece of wrapping
>something to press the end together again
>
>Kristinn Leifsson,
>Reykjavík, Iceland

Again, thanks for the guess, but not correct in this case.

Thanks to Jim, Chris and Kristinn for playing!

Now, who has the next Puzzler?

David