humidity problem - will this fix it?

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 26 May 2000 22:13:06 -0500

>...My question is this:  Can I expect a heat bar under the keybed to
>alleviate the tightness from humidity?

Expect, no.  It is possible, however, that it could alleviate some.

>Should it go inside the action cavity?

I would have no problem installing one 8 watt de-humidifier rod inside a
grand action cavity with a Humidistat controlling that rod.

>Or is there no way to know until I know if the sluggishness is
>from key bushings or action centers?

You pretty much said it.  There is no way to know until you know.  Anything
else is speculation.

>Or, do you think I should forget about humidity control and just get in
>there and fix the problem?

Determining the problem would be first in order, but by your comment and
action, getting in there didn't seem to be an option at the time.
===========
"Somehow she wrangled me into doing a free evaluation, so I didn't want to
pull the action out to see where the trouble really is."
===========

>Advice?  I'm listening, watching, whatever...
>Clyde

Honor her request to install a 3' long 25 or 38 watt heat rod (dehumidifier
rod) under the keybed with a signed disclaimer on her part that it is
against your advice without a Humdistat.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild