humidity problem - will this fix it?

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 26 May 2000 23:25:15 -0400

Hi Clyde,

I see you've been to  [name withheld]'s  house.  :-)  How lucky for you!
(tongue in cheek)

I don't remember for sure, but I think it's a model 'M'.

Just a few observations and maybe a gut feeling or two...

I don't see how installing a full dehumidification system (with humidistat
control) could possibly do any harm.  It is in a rather damp environment.  I
don't see any problem with a rod under the keybed.

I wouldn't put a heater rod in the action cavity.  It might actually help a
bit with the action sluggishness.  But the downside is that the pinblock is
not any too tight.  It's doing fine now, but with the heater bar not more
than a few inches underneath that old pinblock, baking away... next thing
you know, it won't hold tune anymore because the tuning pins are loose.
(Purely speculation, but perhaps with at least a hint of reason?)

>From what I remember, the key bushings are not loose, but even if the keyset
were completely eased, I think you'd still find pretty much the same
sluggishness.  If I remember, up in the treble end where the hammers are the
lightest, long after the key and I think the wippen had come back to rest,
some of those hammers were still taking their good ol' time getting back
towards their rest position.

As I recall, I took my handy dandy little flashlight and had a look at the
hammer flanges down through the strings, and the few I could see looked
pretty greenish where the center pin was.  Truthfully, I suspect that upon
closer examination, you'll find a verdigris problem.  I know that's not what
the customer wants to hear.  She didn't want to hear it from me either.

So what to do???

1) Nothing's to stop anyone from installing a dehumidifier system.  I can't
see how a proper installation could hurt anything, and it may help just a
bit.  I wouldn't want to promise it would help the sluggishness, especially
if it is indeed a verdigris problem (which I think it probably is).

2) If you wanted to take a chance on using some center pin lube on the
flanges, you might offer it as a possible  temporary patch.  It may help a
little in the short term.  It may not. ???  You'll probably find varying
opinions on this one.  It's just a thought thrown into the mix.

3) You can suggest the proper repairs, which would likely include some parts
replacement.  I doubt there's much of a chance of that happening when she
balks at a couple of hundred dollars for a Dampp-Chaser system, but hey, you
might be a pretty good salesman!  :-)

I hate to say it, but this poor piano probably won't get fixed by the
present owner.  (Just a hunch.)  You'll probably just get to spend a half
hour talking about it (trying desperately to move towards the door to get to
your next appointment) at each and every tuning.

By the way, Clyde, how was the tuning?  When I was there in January, it
needed a pitch raise.  I hope it was at least a little closer today.

I wish I knew what else I could offer.  How's about my condolences??  :-)
Just kidding.  :-)

Good luck, Clyde.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net

P.S.  In case anyone else is interested, Clyde and I live about 30 miles
apart in the same county.  When I first got onto this list, he was quick to
make himself known to me, and was very helpful and encouraging to me.   He
has become a friend and is an all around good guy.  I think it was he who
took me along to my first local PTG chapter meeting... and I'm glad he did.
(round of applause goes here...)