Aftertouch Question

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 27 May 2000 22:21:40 -0400

>    IF the deeper dip allows a longer hammer blow to be had , then yes.
> However, if the hammer blow is not changed, but the dip merely deepened,  I
> fail to see how there could be more power available.
>
> Wondering,
> Ed Foote

Yes, I was thinking in terms of longer hammer blow distance
which can be detrimental you young and immature fingers and
hands.  But since the hammer is traveling longer then more
power can be had.

If you cannot get proper after touch with "proper"
regulation specs then there may well be a geometry problem
with the action but first the regulation MUST be tried at
industry "standards" to determine if there is indeed a
geometry problem, sorT of like the chicken and the egg.

Regulation is an art but the take off point is standard
practice THEN changes can be made but only if you understand
how each procedure interacts with the rest and what the
consequences and effects are of that change.

Regulation is very much like the other things we do, tuning
and voicing, you have to do several before you begin to get
the idea and practice and practice is THE only way to get to
Carnage Hall.  That and the subway.

Having action models helps a lot also.

		Newton