String splicing

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 27 May 2000 22:12:27 -0400

Dear Les,

I was tuning for a concert and the string with the pin
closest to the agraffes, number three or four, broke and
went flying across the stage.  Now THAT is a frightening
sound.  After my heart started again I looked at the
situation and I had no choice but to splice the string with
a number twenty eight cut off I had from replacing the
neighboring string.  I have NO idea how I did it, but I did
because I had to.

I splice strings on a regular basis IF the *%&%#$ students
leave the string in the room, otherwise I have to order a
replacement.

If I have enough room I will splice in the speaking length
and if I don't have enough room I will peel back some of the
winding.  I make a small loop in the old string and a large
loop in the replacement string.  Large enough to slide over
the diameter of the wrap.  I bend the loops almost 89
degrees so the loops can slide together unimpeded.  I then
use vise grips to the end of the new wire and pull with my
full weight to close up the loops and check the integrity of
the splice.  If the string is out of the piano I put a
capstan wrench through the tail loop and pull up hard with
the capstan under my shoes.

_My_ problem is remembering which way I turned the first
loop since they have to be turned in opposite directions.

Life it tough sometimes.

		Newton