Pianodisc vs QRS pianomation

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:04:58 EST

Thank you, Bob, for explaining the differences in terms a technician can
understand.  I think it is marvelous that we have a choice between two
wonderful American companies for these retrofits. You are absolutely correct
about the quality of the installation determining the degree of customer
satisfaction.

Most people who buy these systems simply want to hear their pianos playing.
I don't think the off-the-shelf versus proprietary electronic parts really
makes a difference to them.  If they really want the nuances of recording
and fancy playback, they can buy a Disklavier!

However, it still remains a fact that only a PianoDisc dealer can supply
parts.  You have to be a dealer to get the system in the first place. Now
that independent technicians are out of this loop they will know longer have
any interest in servicing a system they can't get parts for!  That means
that by referring their customers to a PD system, they will also have to
relinquish the servicing of the instrument.

I suppose that having to convert each and every MIDI file one downloads off
the internet, or having to lift the action over the solenoids to get the
action back into a piano doesn't bother some people, but it does bother me,
the person who has to service that action, or the person who recommended it
purchase.

Would you believe, that here in the Baltimore-Washington, D.C. area, I don't
know who to recommend to service a PD system.  All the techs who used to do
installations have stopped and no longer service systems that move in from
other parts of the country.  If anyone is lurking, please let me who to
recommend to the MANY folks who need service on their PianoDisc systems.

Carol Beigel