Stanwood Precision Touch (was Re: System)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 06:41:54 -0500

Good question Brian. What about it Newton? That caught my attention for a
second, but then I just blew by it.

Unless I am not understanding something major regarding the Stanwood thing,
it will not "calculate" a hammer weight (although, yes you can calculate a
weight you need to add/remove from a hammer to attain a targeted weight -
seems like something short of rocket science though). You specify the
desired hammer weight and/or balance weight among other action geometry
parameters you find desirable. Then, you pick the hammer weight curve you
think will work best for your piano (based on piano belly, experience,
things an intelligent-looking person said, guesswork, and action
characteristics - limited in part whether or not you use the spring assisted
wippens). Once all that plus desired up/downweight/friction is established,
you can calculate front weights. The point here though, is that you have
significant freedom to choose your hammer weights (keeping in mind of
course, that some choices may require action geometry changes - although you
have much more freedom with hammer weights, with a given action geometry, if
you use the spring-assisted wippens).

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida