Stanwood Precision Touch (was Re: System)

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Sat, 04 Nov 2000 07:13:02 -0500

Rogerio Writes:

>I need to learn about the David Stanwood system for designing and
>setting up grand piano actions. I would like to know where may I to read
about. If is >impossible to read in some paper, please could anyone explain
it to me?

The following Piano Technicians Journal articles outline Stanwood's
methodology in detail. The last two get to the heart of the matter:

"Mastering Friction with the Balance Weight System
 November 1990

"The New Touchweight Metrology"
 June 1996

"Standard Protocols of the New Touchweight Metrology"
 February 2000

"Looking at Grand Pianos Through the Eyes of The New Touchweight Metrology"
 March 2000

"Component TouchWeight Balancing - Blueprint for the Future"
 April 2000

N Luehrmann Writes: So the Stanwood Precision TouchDesign is really only
meant for pianos that can't be properly regulated?

The system improves all pianos by smoothing weight inconsistencies in
hammer weight and key lead weight.  Its effect is most dramatic on pianos
that have a gross mismatch of hammer weight and action ratio.  Licensed
installers are trained in making an overall ratio specification as well as
a multitude of other skills.

installers is $250.00 for consultation, charts, and a set of specifications
for each Precision TouchDesign (tm) issued.   Stanwood also provides the
service of retrofitting your wippens with adjustable support springs for
tunable high performance actions.  This system allows for much heavier
hammers to be used than was formerly possible.  The high performance system
is used on many concert stages with great success and is especially useful
in halls with poor acoustic.

The method for calculating smooth Front Weights using the equation of
balance is patented.  However technicians around the world are encouraged
to use published public domain information (the Journal articles) and tools
provided in the Touch Designers Toolkit (available from Pianotek Supply) to
improve their work.

The results published in the abouve mentioned articles strongly indicate
that all technicians should be paying attention to making strike weight
specifications, limiting the amount of lead in the keys by their choice of
strike weight level and balance weight specification, and leading the keys
with any system that accounts for friction when using upweight or
downweight to balance the keys.

If a piano works it doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed to work alot better.
I encourage all of you to study the articles in detail.  THEN we can have a
lively discussion!

Respectfully Submitted,

David C. Stanwood