broken string in Ricca piano

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 23:36:37 -0800

Stephen:
    I get the picture.  Regarding the repair of the looped end of your
string, I have attempted the repair in the past, but wasn't too
successful.  If you know how to tie strings with a new wire, you could
make a new loop and tie the other end to the old string.  The trick is
to have the length of the new wire with knot and loop end up the same as
the old length of wire.  The unknown is how to tie the string knot so it
pulls tight at exactly the right point so the string length is correct.
When tying a string knot, it's difficult to estimate how much the knot
will slip before it becomes tight enough to hold the tension.  If the
knot slips too much, your bass string winding will be too close to the
guide pin on the other end.  If it's too short, you'll have the problem
at the bridge pins.  Add this to the fact that your loop may also slip
some.  Better to just replace the string.
    Paul McCloud