Soundboard Finishing

Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:02:00 -0500

Lance,

I have never had any problem with glue joints failing because of
stripper, although I am careful to not allow stripper or solvents to
travel into the gap where the soundboard meets the rim.  I tape off there
very thoroughly.  I would think that if the joints are THAT weak, that
simple expansion and contraction would open them up just as easily as
stripper would.

I personally have had mixed results bleaching boards, and no longer use
that method.  One board would come out very uniformly bleached, the next
would be splotchy and very difficult to compensate for.

Besides, I kinda like the look of an old board.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com