Soundboard Finishing

Stan Kroeker stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca
Tue, 07 Nov 2000 14:27:01 -0600

Terry,

Though I don't mind the two-tone effect between aged board and new shims
(highlights your handiwork?), I have opted to bleach all boards
receiving this reconstruction.  I always mix the two components of the
wood bleach prior to sponging it onto the board.  In fact, the
instructions suggest doubling one component for maximum bleaching
strength.  I not only do this, but will apply up to three times in quick
succession to achieve the uniform color I'm after.  The instructions say
the mixture does not raise grain, so there can't be much, if any, H2O in it.

BTW ... after scraping the board  (new thread here perhaps? ... Tool of
choice? ... Cabinet scraper? ... Paint scraper?  ...  Block plane? ...
Who uses what?), I sand very agressively, first with 120 then finishing
with 220.  This, together with the bleach, results in the light color I prefer.

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician