Cabaret player

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 19:44:45 -0500

At 04:23 PM 11/08/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>At 11:45 AM 11/08/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>>List:  I was called out to look at a Cabaret player (Aeolian).  The
>>sustain pedal had been broken during a move ( snapped just behind the
>>toerail).  How does one remove the pedal "remains" so it can be brazed
>>back together again - IOW is there a way to do it without the major
>>surgery of removing all the pneumatic stuff that is below.  ( I am
>>referring only to the pumping pedal bellows when I say pneumatic stuff.)
>>The lever that controls play - rewind wants to jump back into rewind and
>>will not stay in the play mode.  What do I do about that??
>>
>>John R. Fortiner
>>(NOT a player tech)
>
>Place the piano on a tilter and remove the bottom board.
>
>Jon Page

No, that's not going to work either unless you can loosen the screws just
enough to get the pivot pin to slide under the stretcher but not enough to
disturb the
bellows. That is of course if you can get to unscrew the retaining blocks
without
removing the bellows. <chuckle> The hoses , having been age-molded to the
fittings,
may not fit snugly upon reassembling.

Have the owner play a roll or two before proceeding. Don't wait until the pedal
is fixed and then, "Oh NO, the player doesn't work anymore!" All of its
maladies will
suddenly become 'your fault'.

The auto rewind valve is being triggered. Look for a disconnected tube from
the tracker bar,
usually there is one from each end. Locate the rewind pneumatic valve and
trace the tubing to the
tracker bar. If no loose connection is found, check the valve, if you can't
figure it out refer the
repair to a player tech.

When in doubt, proceed blindly in to the abyss,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net