Help with Bluthner action

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 00:57:17 +0000

In article <003a01c04b57$8fdae820$aed1e7c1@1>, Calin Tantareanu
<dnu@fx.ro> writes
>Hello!
>
>I have seen a wonderful Bluthner piano for sale, form 1908 which has an
>unusual (to me, at least) action. It doesn't seem to have the double
>repetition.
>Could anyone give me more info about this action? Is it any good?
>I have posted pictures of it on my website:
>http://calintantareanu.tripod.com/piano/bluthner.htm
>
>By the way, I have also posted further pictures of the Bechstien piano
>restoration:
>http://calintantareanu.tripod.com/piano/
>
>Thanks!

The necessary operations must be carried out strictly in the following
order. The fitting of the BLUTHNER-action is based on a touch-depth of 9
mm and on a hammer-blow of 45 mm.

1. The hammer-flange screws should be tightened.
The hammer-heads must then be spaced exactly on the strings.

2. Setting-up. The jack must be so adjusted, by means of the carriage
which is screwed on to the key, that it drops quite easily under the
nose of the abstract. The guide-pin of the abstract must be straight and
vertical

3. Let-off. The hammers should release 1,3 mm from the steel strings and
half string thickness from the bass strings? The set-off screws for this
adjustment are situated on the hammer rest rail.

4. Touch. Contrary to the ERARD action, the touch is made quite firm.
The key is depressed slowly on to the touch-baize, after which the
hammer should continue to rise 1 mm, till it releases, so that it checks
only on striking the key strongly. (No after-touch).

5. Checks. The checks should be adjusted at a slightly greater angle
than on the ERARD action. The check point is 24 mm above the normal
hammer tail line.

6. Drop. The right-angled repetition spring which controls the drop
should have a thickness of 0,85 mm in treble, 0,95 mm in the middle
range and 1 mm in the bass; the guide pin of the abstract must move
easily in the bridge leathers so that the abstract drops of its own
weight. The repetition springs must move freely in the abstract felt
clips and by pressure of either side of the right-angle spring, the drop
is controlled. The hammer head should release 3 mm from the steel
strings.

7, It is now necessary again to check the touch throughout.

8. The dampers should lift when the keys are half depressed.

9. The damper shade-rail must be adjusted in such a way that when
depressing the sharps, is very little play.

10. The coiled spring which is attached to the abstract should in the
normal position of the key not rest on the jack, but remain about 3 mm
from it. An even touch is of the greatest importance.

Bluthner-patented action

1. Hammer flange screw
2. Whippen
3. jack