Tuning Pin Bushings

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:18:19 -0500

I presume your intention is to restring without removing the plate. How =
old is the piano? What is the condition of the bridges and pinblock? =
Restringing is usually done to improve the sound of the piano. The =
bridges play a critical role in good sound from the strings =
(specifically, with regard to restringing, the bridge top and bridge =
pins). Many techs recommend a minimum of a good bridge reconditioning at =
the time of re-stringing (if not recapping). Reconditioning should =
consist of planing bridge top to base of old string grooves, =
re-notching, and set new bridge pins in epoxy. To do all that, you'll =
want to take the plate out. With plate out, pinblock pops out real easy. =
With pinblock out, take proper size dowel rod, and simply tap bushings =
out. Easy. That's how I do it. (With plate out, you can refinish =
soundboard and/or plate real nice also!)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Pianotoone@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, November 10, 2000 12:02 PM
  Subject: Re: Tuning Pin Bushings

  Am about to restring a grand.  Have done many in the past but wondered =
how=20
  some of the clever people on the list=20

  REMOVE THE OLD WOODEN BUSHINGS.=20

  In the past I have;=20

  1. Split them with a screwdriver=20
  2.  Drilled them out=20
  3.  Used a Moto tool with a file bit.=20

  None of the above seemed satisfactory=20

  How do y'all do it???  And Thanks=20

  Dick Day=20
  Southern  Michigan=20