Yamaha tuning problem

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:30:09 -0600

At 10:14 AM 10/11/00 -0800, you wrote:

> I ran into a problem that I don't remember hearing.  It's got me stumped.
> I'll include some details in hope I can get a good answer.
>
> I tuned two Yamahas for a customer in her teaching studio.  One piano was a
> Model U-11 Ser # T 121496 and the other a G3 Ser # 1098046.  The grand had
> two pedals and a data plate on the inside of the case so I am assuming it
was
> mfg. in Japan.

Hi Dave,
             Sounds as if you have a grey market piano on your hands.  The
data
plate is how Japanese institutions keep a service record on the instrument.
The
two pedals were made for the far east markets.  The bass strings are quite
often shot due to industrial pollution, probably some dealer did a bit of a
clean up job on the strings before selling them.

The majority of grey market instruments in our area, need re pinning and
stringing after a year or so. If you live in a dry climate start checking glue
joints on the bridge, cap, and ribs.

Hope this may help.
Regards Roger

Roger Jolly