Yamaha tuning problem

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:27:09 -0700

Hi David,
I think that if you would measure the octave above each pair after you =
have tuned each string with the SATlll or any other ETD,you will find =
that there is as much as 20c difference in the pair on another partial =
that is causing the racket.
This makes the piano untuneable IMHO and replacing the set is the only =
way to go.
Re scale too.
I have a G1 that will be going through restringing in  Dec for this very =
problem.
One thing that I will try just before taking the strings off is to let =
the string down a fifth to an octave and use the notes hammer to try to =
move the winding by pounding the note 10 to 20 times very vigorously.
This works on dead strings to bring some life back into the string so I =
am going to give it a go.
Joe Goss
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Streit=20
  To: Posting to Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, November 10, 2000 11:14 AM
  Subject: Yamaha tuning problem

  I ran into a problem that I don't remember hearing.  It's got me =
stumped. I'll include some details in hope I can get a good answer.

  I tuned two Yamahas for a customer in her teaching studio.  One piano =
was a Model U-11 Ser # T 121496 and the other a G3 Ser # 1098046.  The =
grand had two pedals and a data plate on the inside of the case so I am =
assuming it was mfg. in Japan.  I did not attempt to tune them together =
as I know the scale is different and the client wasn't interested.  Both =
pianos had the same problem. =20

  Neither piano had been tuned in two years and the client tried to =
convince me that it was a "new thing" that piano manufacturers had =
"just" started recommending a piano be tuned every six months.  =
Amazingly the lady was blessed/cursed with an uncanny ear that could =
pick out every false beat and nuance.  She called my attention to the =
low bass in each piano. Neither piano sounded right.

  I did all the checks and all beats were correct. The octaves just =
didn't sound right on the on the first 6 or 7 notes.  I figured I would =
just tune them as clean octaves, but I could not get the lower notes in =
line. The partials were beating so fast either way, the notes sounded =
horrid with the rest of the piano.

  Is there a possibility the scaling is off?  Tapping down the strings =
doesn't help, twisting either.  There is a bit of rust on the grand, but =
the other is clean.  I'm kind of at my wits end.  Am I missing anything? =

  =20
  Mark Wisner, you told me you read all the Yamaha stuff on Pianotech, =
would you care to comment?

  Thanks,=20

  Dave Streit
  Portland, OR=20