Suggestions Wanted For Soundboard Repair

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:03:11 -0500

We have a grand that we're in the process of rebuilding-an average calibre
make.

It's been refinished, getting a new pin block, etc. Soundboard is being
shimmed and has enough bearing.

The glue joint of the soundboard to the liner is loose in a few places-you
can hear it by tapping around the perimiter of the soundboard.

The question is:
What are some suggestions on how to best re-glue the loose sections before
the plate goes back in?

Our technician working on it feels that just getting some glue in there and
clamping it is not the best since there is old hide glue in there already
and the old glue will prevent a good bond with the new glue.

I had a similar problem before with a vertical piano and solved it the
following way:
Cleaned out the glue joint where it was loose by working a ground down hack
saw blade in the glue joint. This cleaned out the old glue.
Worked glue into the section, with the help of gravity (actually since the
piano was in our shop we suspended the piano upside down with a lift we
have as the joint in question was at the top).
Clamped soundboard to liner.

It's a little bit harder than that with this piano as it is a grand.
Getting to the joint where the soundboard is loose is in the back part of
the piano and has a piece of wood that extends out about 8" above where the
rear leg is attatched. Removing that section would make it easier, but that
part of wood is glued in and the case has already been refinished.

Any tips appreciated!

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA
http://www.dprint.com/grafton/
gleng@fast.net
800-272-5980

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.