bumps in keys

Cameron Jacobi harlip58@yahoo.com
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:19:24 -0800 (PST)

--- Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com> wrote:
> Friends,
>
> Quite a few responses refer to key leads, when the
> original post talks about
> "wooden blisters."  So maybe I can learn something
> here I didn't know.  Are
> key leads ever put in the keys where they are not
> immediately visible from
> the sides?  Maybe inserted from the bottom or
> something?  I'm a little
> confused about how a question regarding wooden
> blisters turned into a
> discussion of key leads.
>
> Regards,
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT
> Lititz, PA, USA
>
> Greg Newell wrote:
>
> > Cameron,
> >     It's probably recessed leads expanding and
> showing their ugly heads.
> > Don't sand them!!!
> > Greg Newell
> >
> > Cameron Jacobi wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a question for anyone who would care to
> answer
> > > - I tuned a piano yesterday - a Sohmer upright,
> about
> > > 20 years old - a lot of the keys were sticking -
> but
> > > two of them, when I pulled them out - had
> something
> > > like wooden blisters at the sides - I don't
> really
> > > know how to describe it - it was as though
> something
> > > inside the key was trying to make its way to the
> > > surface - almost like a bubble in the wood - if
> the
> > > wood continues to do that, those keys will be
> rubbing
> > > the ones next to them.  Does anyone have any
> idea what
> > > could cause that, or what should be done about
> it?
> > > I'd appreciate any input.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Harriet Lipman

> > > Yahoo! Calendar - Get organized for the
> holidays!
> > > http://calendar.yahoo.com/

The original question did refer to the bumps at the
sides of the keys - most responses have suggested that
the key leads are "walking" out - to me, that makes
sense, although I've never seen it before.  - How I'll
handle it--I don't know-- I'm sure I won't handle it
until it creates a friction problem.  Any other ideas
as to what may have caused the bumps?

thank you

Harriet