HT at UIB

Sat, 18 Nov 2000 20:51:58 +0100

Robin Blankenship wrote:

> Ric and David,
> Do you know of any contemporary composers (say, the last 50 years or so) who
> call for a particular temprament?? The physical attributes of an instrument,
> it's tonal resources, etc., certainly affect the music created for it. It
> seems reasonable that the temprament commonly used would do the same. As
> when a pitch correction interacts with itself, so to speak, any parameter of
> performance affects all the others which in turn affect it. Your basic
> chicken and egg problem. We have a wonderful way of resetting our world view
> when the world changes. The first time I listened to Jimi Hendrix it was
> total mish-mash. I re-heard the record over and over. Gradually, it became
> to make sense. Perhaps, virtually any temprament would become "acceptable"
> if persistently employed. Nothing of fear from this. Diversity with a
> purpose can be a good thing.
>
> Robin Blankenship

Grin... tho we obviously dont aggree on politics, we certainly see eye to eye on
this note. I couldnt have put any of this better Robin. Actually thought the use
of Jimi Hendrix's "wild mish mash" of sounds was a good point. It certainly was
crazy at the time... now it is only mildly irratating... grin.. ok thats
provocative... let me reput that... now its almost interesting... shoot... not
much better... well heck I never was a Hendrix fan.. :) Still point well taken.
I agree 1 billion percent.
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.