..stability issue..

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:24:05 EST

Phil wrote:

<<"Does anyone have a suggestion for improved stability, based on what's been
said here?">>

Phil;
 The instruments which inhabit restaurants/bars have the unenviable task of
trying to cope with wildly swinging changes in humidity levels 'everyday'.
Because of this the "tuning" will never be as stable as an instrument in a
home setting. The DC systems did "have to had helped" but they are not
instantaneously responsive vis a vis soundboard expansion/contraction. As Ron
said there will be suggestions to address many issues and each will have some
validity.......however the only way to address this 'at the source' is to
schedule more frequent tunings. Of course they are Baldwins! :-)
(sorry the debil made me say it:)
 When I tuned a local dinner theatre pianos it was established on a once a
week basis> Mondays are the "dark" night for this particular theatre and at
first we tuned on Mondays/Tuesdays but the pianos would start 'drifting' by
Thursday of that week. We changed the tuning dates to Thursdays and for
whatever reason the tunings seemed to last until the following week. Possibly
the reason for this was the theatre being less humid on Mondays/Tuesday and
that tuning on Thursday allowed a tuning at approximate humidity levels with
a full crowd...I don't know, but it worked in this case.

 Possibly addressing the rendering of the strings might be of some benefit
but that is a decision you alone are going to have to make as 'we' can't
feel/hear the tuning in progress.
My thoughts.
Jim Bryant (FL)