Frozen Agragge

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:08:09 -0700

At 05:44 PM 11/18/2000 -0600, Ray wrote:

>I have spent the past couple of hours working on a Steinway L from 1927
>with a broken agraffe.  It broke sometime while the family was on
>vacation.  I have replaced a few of these in the past without
>incident.  The problem:
>
>The remainder would not come out!  It seemed to be fused to the plate.  I
>tried

I used to own a Honda S-600 back in the late 1960s and it had a brass oil
drain plug that threaded into the oil pan. The drain plug would act just as
if it were fused to the pan and you could actually strip it with a wrench
if you were careless trying to get it out. A single light tap with hammer
would free it so you could practically take it out without a wrench.

I haven't had the opportunity to try this, but if you run across this again
try giving the stump of the agraffe a light tap with a punch and a hammer
before you try anything else as it might indeed be "fused" to the plate in
some manner. If anyone tries this, let us know if it works.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
email: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom