customer perception - was Re: Unison Width - was stability issue

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:00:49 -0600

>Have any of you ever had the opposite response?  Once in a while the client
>will
>say to me when I arrive, "It really needs a tuning!"  I start working on it,
>and
>it's really not bad at all.

This happens a lot, and I've wondered about it too. I think it's because
people tend to automatically assume that the professional (insert
specialty) is possessed of knowledge they can't possibly know or
understand. Once they've decided that, they resist being further educated
on the subject, but will often relentlessly follow the sometimes truly
bizarre instructions from the last expert as they think they remember them
being given, whether they make any sense or not. I don't think they're
trying to appear intelligent, so much, as they are accepting and trusting
what their "expert" told them without trying to understand the reasoning
behind the advice.

Someone tells them "Tune twice a year, without fail". After years of this,
they (by any number of circumstances) happen to have me tune the piano and
ask why so frequent tunings are necessary when they think the piano sounds
fine. If I find the piano in decent tune, I'll agree with them and suggest
yearly tunings unless their ear tells them otherwise before then. This is
so unexpected and foreign to them that they immediately become suspicious
and I have their full attention from then on. If the piano sounds nasty, we
talk about the usual climate control issues and such. I try to get them the
most tuning (and service) mileage I can for their dollar, rather than try
to sell them the idea that they owe me two guaranteed tuning fees a year
and any other service I can manage to talk them into so I can make the most
money with the least work at their expense. I resent the fact that too many
other "professionals" are doing that to me on a daily basis and I try not
to abuse my people with that sort of thing. The other side of that coin is,
of course, that I owe them the truth when they ask me what I think of their
instrument, or if I find a real problem during the course of tuning. Over
and over again, I hear "I wish I'd known that before I spent the money for
that other work, I'd have just gotten a better piano" or "Why didn't the
last four tuners tell me anything about this?" They aren't used to being
treated as intelligent humans by professional service people and being
addressed as something other than a source of income gets their attention.

The short version is that I don't think anyone ever really 'splained
anything to them. Yea, I know, there's a reason for it and I've talked to
many a piano owning tree stump myself, but I still can't help but try and
most of them are receptive and capable if given half a chance. It helps
more than it hurts.

Hope you're not sorry you mentioned it.  <G>

Ron N