Twangy pianos + stringing

joegum joegum@webtv.net
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:02:32 -0500 (EST)

 Ron wrote:
<<<<<this is the first mention I've heard of twisting strings increasing
tension tolerance. I'm curious what the source of that tidbit is. If you
have an explanation, you have my attention. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>    Hi Ron.  I
hope you had a happy and safe Thanksgiving.  I remember this from back
when I was a student at the Perkins School.  One of the things we were
shown was how to handle a situation in which the same unwound string
keeps breaking.  First, of course, we were taught the usual stuff....
is there a burr at a metal friction point?, etc. Then, we were told to
put a twist in the string to strengthen it, and if that failed, to go up
a half gauge.  I also remember the discussion that ensued re twists and
false beats.  In the grand rebuilding course, I remember being shown to
avoid twisting the plain wire.  Thus, the discussion that developed when
we were advised to (in this circumstance) twist the plain wire.
<<<<<Also, I'd have to take exception to the idea that twisting plain
wire strings detectably increases the incidence of false beats, or any
other audible sound production anomaly. I just haven't seen any evidence
that indicates that is the case. Again, I'd be interested in your source
for this information. >>>>>>>>>>>> On this, I not only have my
admittedly distant memory, but I can quote the great Dr. William Braid
White.  In "Piano Tuning and the Allied Arts,"  on page 106, I'll quote
a passage from  section 17. "False Beats".....  "This beating arises
through segments of the strings being unevenly strained, whereby the
corresponding harmonics are thrown out of tune. Such uneven strain may
be the result of a twist put in the wire during the stringing,  or of
uneven thickness of the wire."   One private theory of mine goes like
this:  "Consider that when a string vibrates, it vibrates in all
directions.  Also consider that when music wire is drawn, does it form a
perfect cylinder?  Is it symmetrical?"  If  you still won't buy into
the idea that a twisted plain wire will more likely give false beats,
will you consider that an untwisted one is less likely to?
END OR PART ONE. -Joe